One killed as NSCN factions clash


DIMAPUR, Dec 23 (agencies): In a flare-up of December 19 stand-off between NSCN (K) and GPRN/NSCN at Padumpukhuri-Naharbari area, Dimapur, NSCN (K) reportedly launched a “surprise attack” on GPRN/NSCN (Khole-Kitovi), killing one and injuring others at Ghukiye village, some 10 kms away from Zunheboto, Thursday morning at around 6.30 a.m.

According to reports the deceased identified as Mughavi of Saghemi village was supposedly on sentry duty. Three weapons belonging to GPRN/NSCN were also taken away by NSCN (K) cadres, reports reaching here said. It was also reported that GPRN/NSCN has sent reinforcement to Suruhoto, where NSCN (K) has a camp.

GPRN/NSCN MIP sources told Nagaland Post that around eight to ten cadres from GPRN/NSCN who were deputed to clear the jungle at “makeshift camp”– proposed site for setting up its designated camp at Ghukiye village, was attacked by NSCN (K) cadres. “In the surprise attack one of our boys was killed and few injured”, MIP sources added. 

Sources also said that much damaged could have been done if the boys had retaliated. “Attacking at this hour was not a good sign, so we ordered our boys to head back to camp at Suruhoto”, GPRN/NSCN sources added.

NSCN (K) CFSB supervisor, Wangtin when contacted said the attack on GPRN/NSCN designated camp was “very unfortunate and regrettable”. Wangtin said he had appealed to the Military headquarter to restraint its cadres from any retaliatory act after the December 19 incident at Padumpukhuri-Naharbari, Dimapur.

However, he said “Khole-Kitovi’s group” should take responsibility for Thursday’s incident as it was a flare up because of their attack on Dec 19 at Dimapur against NSCN (K).

Reiterating his earlier stand Wangtin said “we are here for peace, not war” and appealed to all NSCN factions not to take December 19 incident “very seriously” as he said it would only spread violence all over Nagaland.

He further appealed all to restraint from any retaliatory actions and to maintain peace especially during the festive season.

Wangtin also confirmed that they had recovered three weapons.

Meanwhile, condemning Thursday’s firing incident, Sumi Hoho (SH), Zunheboto president, H. Hesso said that tension erupted since Wednesday evening after the presence of armed cadres in the area.

Hesso said the presence of armed cadres was harassment to public, as the cadres were not adhering to the ceasefire agreement.

The Hoho was against the setting up of any designated camps in Zunheboto, he added. SH said the body of the deceased cadre was handed later sent to his village, Saghemi.

Earlier, Sumi Hoho at a general public session held on August 9 at Zunheboto had unanimously resolved to urge responsible authority to remove/withdraw designated camps within Zunheboto district.

The Hoho had said existence of designated camps in Zunheboto “has threatened the congenial and peaceful environment”.

The resolution was made based on the declaration of Sumi inhabited areas as “peace zone” on July 15, 2008 during public rally, and subsequent unanimous reiteration and reaffirmation of the stand by the Sumi general session on July 7, 2011.

However, GPRN/NSCN sources said the designated camp area was agreed upon by government of India as both GPRN/NSCN and representatives from Government of India had visited the proposed site recently.

It maybe noted that after December 19 stand-off between NSCN (K) and GPRN/NSCN at Padumpukhuri-Naharbari, Dimapur, NSCN (K) cadres were escorted back to Suruhoto by Dimapur Police.

The stand-off occurred when some armed NSCN (K) cadres came to Dimapur to set up a ceasefire monitoring cell sub-office near Padampukhri-Naharbari area.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here