MLI says Sanjoy died of overdose, JAC claims otherwise


IMPHAL April 30: The PRO IGAR (South) in a press release clarified that Salam Sanjoy, s/o Salam Kamani, a resident of Takyel who had surrendered to troops of 12 MARATHA LI was found in an unconscious state at around 2.30 PM and was declared brought in dead at RIMS hospital at 3 PM yesterday, apparently due to an overdose of drugs.

According to the release yesterday, mother of Salam Sanjoy and Kavita Devi had contacted the security force post at Patsoi, stating that her son who was a KYKL deserter had arrived from Nagaland during the night and requested that he be taken to a safe place and to surrender to the army due to fear of UGs.

It further stated that Salam Sanjoy reached the Patsoi Post of MLI at around 11 am yesterday. After taking his lunch at around 1 pm while he was resting it was noticed around 2.30 pm that he was frothing from the mouth and nose and to be lying unconscious. Salam Sanjoy was immediately rushed to RIMS hospital as there was no doctor available at the post and was declared brought in dead at 3 PM, decalred the release.

The doctors who attended him also found SP tablets and Nitrosun tablets in his pocket, it maintained.

The dead body of the individual has been sent for postmortem which will bring out the cause of his death, the release added.
It was in pursuance of the efforts by the security forces to rehabilitate misguided youth that Salam Sanjoy was being accepted for surrendering on insistence from his parents and locals, the release concluded.

Another press release from the JAC instituted in regard to the incident said that Ningthoujam Kavita along with one Aheibam Purnimashi of Takyel Kolom Leikai came to the house of Salam Kamini Singh at Sagolband Moirang Hanuba Leirak on April 28 at about 6 pm and pressed him to bring out his son (Sanjoy) for handing over to the Marathe Light Infantry.

The two women had given assurance that Sanjoy will be given a job from the Army side. Believing them, mother of Sanjoy, S Sushila Devi handed over her son to Kavita Devi at her Takyel Kolom Leikai residence yesterday at around 7 am. Later, Kavita called the army personnel to her residence and handed over Sanjoy to one Major Mukhesh in the presence of Sanjoy`™s mother.

The army also gave assurance for the safety of Sanjoy to his mother, however at around 3 pm yesterday; Sanjoy`™s paprents were informed about his death.

The JAC also charged from the facts that the death of Salam Sanjoy is a custodial death in the hands of the 12 MLI and was done in collusion with Kavita Devi and Aheibam Purnimashi Devi.

The JAC submitted a memorandum to the Chief Minister in the regard which mentions demands to hand over the case to the CBI, for the involved army personnel to remain suspended during the investigation period, for both accused women to be booked under the law and that the body of the deceased will not be claimed until the demands are met.

The JAC also warns of carrying out agitations with the help of other civil societies if the demands are not met within 5 days from today.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here