Angry mob dismantles house of absconding alleged killer


IMPHAL, June 19: A 51 years old has been killed yesterday while angry mob has dismantled the house of the accused early in the wee hours today even as the accused along with his family members remained untraceable since the incident came to light. 

According to a local source, the victim identified as one Talem Govinda, 51 son of late Gopi of Loitang Khunou was called out from his home yesterday evening at around 3:30 pm yesterday by his own brother in law identified as one Nameirakapam Tomba, 60 and the main accused Yendrembam Manglemba , 40, s/o late Y Ibocha both residence of Loitang Khullen to discussed on a land dispute between the three.

However at around 6 pm in the evening, the brother in law of the deceased came running towards the deceased’s home and informed his family members that Govinda was thrown into the Luwanglei river after hitting him on the head with a stone by Manglemba, stated a family source.

The source added that on being asked why he did not fight with the accused if he had seen Manglemba kill his brother in law, Tomba answered that the accused and his brother in law Govinda were coming a little behind him and he saw them from far and that after killing Govinda and throwing his body into the river, Manglemba fled from the scene and that he was unable to catch him.

He also added, he checked the river where the Govinda was thrown however he failed to locate his body and as such he had come to inform the family.

Soon afterward, the family members along with the local people started a look out around the area till late in the night and finally the dead body of Govinda was found at around 12:45 am about half a kilometer away from the area where his body was reportedly dumped by Manglemba.

Meanwhile family sources also reported that even though the family had already lodged a formal complain with the concerned Sekmai Police yesterday evening itself in connection with the incident, the police failed to turn up at the incident site even after the dead body was recovered.

The police failed to turn up even when the angry mob was dismantling the house of the accused this early morning. The police only arrived at around 5 am after which they picked up the dead body and deposited it with the RIMS morgue for post mortem.

Later on the dead body was handed over the family this afternoon by the police after conducting post mortem at the RIMS. The police has also registered a formal case on the issue.

Meanwhile, according to the police source, the key witness Tomba, brother in law of the victim has been detained for further interrogation.

The police has initiated active man hunt to nab the absconding accused, added the source.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here