Jiri-Tipaimukh Road construction at stand -still


    JIRIBAM, Janaury 18: The most critical road for Jiribam sub-division, Jiri-Tipaimukh (JT)Road, also known as Mann Bahadur road which passes through Jiribam and Barak circle continues to be in a state of neglect despite the allocation of funds in June 2008 from DoNER ( Development of North-Eastern Region) under theĀ  Non-Lapseable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR). The sanctioned amount which is pegged at 18 crores is to be used to develop the existing road from 8 km to 48 kms. 5 reputed contractors of the state are said to be involved in the project which is being carried out under the Public Works Department, Manipur. The development of the 40 km stretch of road, developed in 11 portions also involves putting in retaining walls and drainage by the road sides along with black topping.
    The JT Road whose costs are being borne in a break up of the state putting in 10% and the remaining 90% by the Centre is said to have accomplished 20 km out of the total 40 km stretch.
    According to a highly reliable source, the funding allocation from the Centre has all been used up but due to the state Government not releasing its share of funds the construction has been stalled.
    Residents of the Jiribam and Barak circle are meanwhile apprehensive over the road not completing construction given that the onset of monsoons will only make it difficult for the ongoing work process to be completed in case the process is taken on an urgent basis. Talking to this reporter, residents of the area expressed hope that the road construction would be completed before the monsoons begin since they would face grave difficulties.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here