Thoubal cdos `rescue` UPPK cadres


IMPHAL, February 4: In all 45 cadres of the proscribed UPPK including some of its top leaders have been `rescued` by a team of the Thoubal Commandos led by its OC Inspector Maibam Sudhir while the cadres were trying to cross over to Manipur through the Manipur-Myanmar border.

The report has come in just one day after a statement of the outfit had announced its new functionaries  claiming that it will not enter into any ceasefire or peace talks with the Indian Government.

A PRO IGAR (S) handout pic of the UPPK cadres
A PRO IGAR (S) handout pic of the UPPK cadres

According to a reliable source, the 45 cadres include four woman cadres and the top functionaries who were announced just yesterday.

Sources informed that receiving information about some cadres of the UPPK trying to cross over the international boundary from the Myanmar side towards Moreh yesterday morning, a team of the state commandos led by Inspector M Sudhir conducted an operation.

A commando team intercepted the UPPK team near the Tamil Sangam Ground, Moreh. The first team including 21 cadres was rescued by the commandos, informed the source.

According to the source, the 21 include s/s major Lakpa; s/s major Poirei; s/s major America; s/s Boly of Bashikhong; s/s major Konthou; s/s captain Yaima, s/s captain Kavi of Wabagai; s/s sgt Korounganba and four other women cadres.

The UPPK cadres brought along one Toyota SUV, one Myanmar moped, one LMG (gun), two Heckler Kolhn (HK) rifles, four 9mm pistols, one Lethode gun along with ammunition and lethode bombs, informed the source.

The others who were left behind at the Myanmar side were informed that there is no danger and they could come out by the 21 cadres after they were rescued by the state commando team.

Following the signal, 24 more cadres of the outfit crossed over to Manipur and were rescued by the team. The later team had no weapons with them, the source added.

Meanwhile, the 45 rescued UPPK cadres have been left at the 9th Assam Rifles, Moreh camp, informed the source.

The team led by M Sudhir concluded their operation this morning around 3am, informed the source.

Meanwhile, a PRO press release has said that the final curtain to the long ongoing negotiations which started in month of November 2013 with the UPPK was brought down on February 4 with 45 cadres and an array of weapons walking into `the folds of the peace process`.

It said that the negotiation with the top leaders of UPPK started in the month of November 2012 when important leaders of the outfit including its chairman were brought in from various places to the state.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here