Youth electrocuted


IMPHAL, April 6: A youth, identified as Yumnam Nongyai (18), son of Y.Ingoucha of Yairipok Top Chingtha Maibam Leikai died after he was electrocuted. The incident happened today at around 10 am near the rural water supply scheme at Yairipok Top Chingtha under the Yairipok police station Imphal East district. Nongyai was reportedly trying to pull out a water container from the pond by using a stick when the end part of the stick connected with a high tension (HT) electric wire which lying very close to the water surface. Nongyai died on the spot and his lifeless body was picked up by a police team for post mortem at JNIMS morgue. Later, it was handed to his family members.

Speaking to the media at JNIMS morgue, Th Shyamkumar MLA of Andro Assembly constituency said that the incident was unfortunate but pointed out that it was not the first of its kind in the area. ” More than 6 people have died in the area due to electrocution due to the negligence of the state government and the concerned Electricity Department,” he said.

He further alleged that the Executive Engineer of the Thoubal Division was not doing his work properly and alleged that the EE was fleecing electric consumers in the name of tax. Adding that the EE in question was allowing many unauthorized electric connections in the area, he said he would complain to the higher authority to take action the EE of Thoubal Division.

He further alleged that the Thoubal division is not checking the connection, the condition electric poles, and stated that he had raised the matter of the nature of HT and LT electric wires in the area on the floor of the 9th Manipur State Assembly and added that it was very unfortunate that the state government was yet to take up the matter seriously.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here