Slain Manisana warned of possible life attack beforehand


IMPHAL, December 8: Bishnupur District Police had prior information about plans to assassinate Haobijam Manisana Singh, the slain vice-president of Manipur People’s Party. He was informed of the possibility three months ahead of his killing by the police that an attack on his life is possible and urged him to take necessary precautions.

Manisana was eventually shot dead by unknown assailants suspected to be professionally trained of a particular underground organization on November 13 last. He was travelling alone in his car when the assassins dealt the death blow at Changangei Uchekon at around 9.50 am. Fifty seven year old Manisana received three bullet injuries on his person and died at the spot.

According to sources, his car was being overtaken by a Bolero jeep, forcing him to hit the brake and causing his car to cease. Then, two motorcycle-borne youths drove by the car, and the pillion riders begin firing shots at close range. Even the car keys were turned on when his body was taken out, pointing that he was stopped forcibly and the attack happened suddenly.  

On IFP investigation regarding the incident which included testimonies from family members of the deceased, Manisana was warned beforehand by the police who even mentioned that the attack could happen along Tiddim Road in between Malom to Tulihal Airport stretch. He had also taken up security measures for  himself and had been provided armed escort while travelling to interior areas of Bishnupur district. Manisana even sought a license for a personal firearm, the processing for which was underway when the fatal attack happened. This pointed to the fact that Manisana was under heavy threat.

Further, reports said that earlier he was accosted by two unidentified persons in front of the MPP office on August 29, 2013. They had ordered him to drive them to an undisclosed location. However, he had rushed back inside the office informing that his driver would drive them.

Later, when he came out of the office with others the two had already disappeared from the scene.

Manisana joined the MSCP in 2002 and began active politics. He later joined BJP and shifted allegiance to the MPP in February, 2007. He was reported to have sought financial returns from the MPP which was due for collection.

However, the murder was not filed as a report by the family members but police had taken it up as a suo-moto case. Lamphel police registered a FIR number 235(11) 2013 LPL PS under section 302/427/34 IPC , 25 (I-C) Arms Act. In regard to the case, police had taken statement of his close workers and family members but still there has been no headway made in the case. The inquest report along with the post mortem viscera report has been sent to Forensic Science lab.

Family members told IFP that the state government has been lethargic in handling the case and proper investigation has not been carried out. In this regard, MPP is organizing a silent protest rally on December 9 during which a report will be submitted to the Governor of Manipur.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here