AR personnel killed in UG ambush, two others injured


IMPHAL, October 25: A personnel of the Assam Rifles was killed and two other injured when militant cadres laid an ambush on a 24 AR team this morning around 6:40 at Satang Village near Kwatha Village under Moreh Police Station.

The area is around 30 km north east of the Moreh Police Station.

According to reports received by the IFP, the 24 AR team was on patrol duty in the area this morning, when the militant cadres lying in wait to ambush attack the AR team using sophisticated weapons.

During the attack, a personnel was killed on the spot.

Soon after getting information about the ambush, additional forces of the AR arrived and exchanged heavy gunfire with the militant cadres; however, any casualty on the part of the militants couldn`™t be confirmed.

The dead personnel has been identified as rifleman no G/5009338 Paokholet Paite, 21 from Moreh Ward no 7, however, details of the two injured cannot be ascertained till the filing of this report.

It is also leant that the two injured have already been shifted to the Leimakhong Military Hospital.

It is also learnt that the AR conducted a massive operation in the surrounding area using mortars till around 10am today.

Meanwhile, when IFP contacted the Moreh Police, it was informed that till 7:30pm today the Assam Rifles hadn`™t made any official report of the incident and as such the detailed official report is awaited.

At the same time, it is also learnt that the body of the slain personnel has been deposited at the JNIMS morgue by the Assam Rifles and even if the AR fails to provide the official report, attempts are being made to get the information from the JNIMS morgue, the police said.

Meanwhile, a team of CRPF narrowly escaped as a grenade lobbed at them failed to explode here in Imphal.

This evening around 7:10 unidentified miscreants lobbed a hand grenade at a truck carrying CRPF personnel along the RIMS Road, which however, failed to explode.

The CRPF personnel were from the 86 BN CRPF Lamphel.

The truck was bringing personnel to replace the other who were on duty at Khwairamband Keithel and its surrounding areas.

The grenade was lobbed inside the truck when it reached the Nityananda Mandir, however, soon after the grenade fell inside the truck one of the personnel threw it out.

However, the grenade failed to explode.

Soon after getting information of the incident, high ranking police officials rushed to the spot and took stock of the situation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here